How Long Does A Driver CPC Course Take?
A single day's Driver CPC training must last 7 hours to count towards the mandatory 35 hours that you must take to gain your Driver Qualification Card.
How Do I Obtain My DQC (Driver Qualification Card)?
You will receive your DQC automatically once you have completed the required 35 hours training and this has been uploaded to the DVSA database. Find out more on the Government website at www.gov.uk/driver-cpc-training/
Can You Fail A Driver CPC Course?
There is no mandatory end-of-course test for Driver CPC training so you cannot fail a course. However some courses may have an assessment at the end to check what you have learned and to help to reinforce the most important aspects of the course.
Do I Need A CPC To Drive A 3.5 Tonne Van?
If you are driving a van with a maximum authorized mass (MAM) of 3,500kg or above, for commercial purposes, you must have a full Driver CPC (and carry your Driver Qualification Card - DQC).
The relevant vehicle categories for commercial vehicles are C, C1, C+E, C1+E. Drivers of passenger vehicles with 9 or more seats must also have their Driver CPC. Professional drivers of larger vehicles must obtain an initial Driver CPC and then keep this valid with 35 hours' "periodic training" every 5 years.
There are exemptions for certain vehicles, which you can find listed online. If you do not use the vehicle for commercial purposes (for example, driving your own horsebox) then you do not need the full Driver CPC but will still need to pass any relevant driving tests for these vehicles.
Does Driver CPC Training Count As Working Time?
Under the terms of the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations, working hours are any time that an employee is "at the employer's disposal". Therefore if a driver is sent on a training course such as Driver CPC by their employer, then this does count as working time.
When Must I Renew My Driver CPC?
You must repeat your periodic Driver CPC training every five years. On your Driver Qualification Card, which is also often referred to as a Driver CPC card, or simply as a DQC, you will see that there is an expiry date. This is stated at section 4b of your DQC. You must attend 35 hours of periodic Driver CPC training before that expiry date. This is your periodic training deadline.
Can I Work Without Taking My Driver CPC?
No. Not unless you fall under one of the exemptions.
Who Is Exempt From Driver CPC?
You do not need Driver CPC if you're using the vehicle for
- Non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods
- Carrying material or equipment you use for your job, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
- Driving for someone you work for, or your own agriculture, horticulture, forestry, farming or fisheries business, as long as driving is less than 30% of your rolling monthly work
- Driving within 62 miles (100 kilometres) of your base - but the vehicle cannot be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach cannot be your main job
- Driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
- Driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
- Maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
- Rescue missions or in states of emergency
You also do not need Driver CPC if the vehicle is
- Is being road tested for repair, maintenance or technical development purposes
- Either new or rebuilt and has not yet been taxed
- Being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, emergency ambulance service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution
- Limited to a top speed of 28mph
About the examples in this guide
These examples tell you if the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency thinks you need Driver CPC. However, only a court can make a decision on Driver CPC rules. This information was sourced from www.gov.uk. For further guidance it is recommended that you visit that site.
How Do I Get My Digital Tachograph Card?
The DVLA has an online form ordering service where you will find the application form for the Digital Tachograph Card.
I've Lost My Driver Card, Can I Drive A Vehicle With A Digital Tachograph Card?
Yes, but only for a period of 15 days.